The University Neighbourhoods Association (UNA) has received messages of concern from the community regarding the impact of the new coronavirus that appeared in Wuhan, China on the UNA’s Lunar New Year Celebration this Saturday, January 25, 2020.
The UNA reached out to the department of Health Protection/Communicable Disease Control at Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) to seek advice regarding those concerns. VCH advised that it is safe to continue this year’s event and other activities as normal.
The representative from VCH referred the UNA and residents to the following resources for more information:
- Vancouver Coastal Health: Statement on coronavirus
- BC Centre for Disease Control: Information on novel coronavirus
For general safety during any event, the UNA asks that if you are feeling sick, you can help protect others by doing the following:
- stay home while sick
- avoid close contact with others
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, then throw the tissue in the trash and wash your hands
- clean and disinfect objects and surfaces
For questions and concerns about the coronavirus, please talk to your physician or healthcare provider, or refer to the health authorities listed below: