On November 6, the UNA held its Annual General Meeting at 7:00 p.m. at the Wesbrook Community Centre. Results of the 2019 UNA Elections were announced at the event. The successful candidates are:
ZHENG (JANE) KANG
Based on 2,756 valid votes, the full result of the vote count is as follows:
- Murray McCutcheon from Hawthorn Place with 627 votes
- Richard Watson from Hawthorn Place with 594 votes
- Martin Guhn from Hawthorn Place with 469 votes
- Zheng (Jane) Kang from Wesbrook Place with 455 votes
- James Ellis from Wesbrook Place with 336 votes
- Qing Wang from Wesbrook Place with 245 votes
- Murray McCutcheon
- Richard Watson
- Martin Guhn
- Zheng (Jane) Kang
- James Ellis
- Qing Wang
Section 5.4(a) of the UNA Bylaws provides that “For more balanced representation, not more than three (3) Resident Directors may be resident in any single Local Area.” Because the UNA currently has one continuing director from each of Hawthorne Place (Terry Mullen), in this election, only two candidates from Hawthorn Place can take seats in the board. The other open seat must be represented by a candidate from Wesbrook Place.
Congratulations to the successful candidates. The UNA would like to thank all the candidates who put their name forward.
The University Neighbourhoods Association (UNA) members will elect three members to its Board of Directors at the 2019 Annual General Meeting (AGM) on Wednesday, November 6, 2019. All UNA members in good standing, as defined by the UNA Bylaws, can vote in this election.
|August 30, 2019||Call for Nominations – Request for nominations posted on the website and through email.|
|October 7, 2019||Nominations Deadline – All candidate applications received by this date.|
|October 8, 2019||Candidates Announced – Candidates announced through UNA website and newsletter.|
|October 22, 2019||All-Candidates Forum – 7:00 – 8:30 p.m., Wesbrook Community Centre, Social Room|
|November 6, 2019||Voter Registration Deadline – Last day to register as a UNA member to be eligible to vote in the 2019 Election/AGM.
(Note: Registrant must be at least 18 years of age, a resident in a UNA neighbourhood for at least 30 days and a resident of British Columbia for at least 60 days.)
|November 6, 2019||AGM & Election Day – Wesbrook Community Centre, 7 p.m. – 9 p.m.|
|November 6, 2019||Results Announced – Election results announced on the UNA website and by email.|
ZHENG (JANE) KANG
The UNA would like to thank Laura Cottle and Ying Zhou for their many years of service on the Board of Directors. The membership would also like to thank Richard Alexander for filling the vacancy that Nataliya Jatskevic left when she stepped down from her position. Directors Matthew Delumpa and Terry Mullen will continue on with the second year of their two-year term. Information about Mr. Delumpa and Mr. Mullen are available on their candidate statements from last year’s election.
The election process includes safeguards to protect the integrity of the election by ensuring all votes remain anonymous, while also applying due diligence related to voter eligibility. Only one ballot per member is allowed. Please confirm that your ballot package contains the following:
- A ballot with the names of candidates listed,
- A secrecy envelope, that lacks identifying marks,
- A certification envelope, on which is printed:
- A unique envelope number along with space for the voting member to write their name,
- A space for the member voting to write their residential address,
- A statement attesting that the member voting is entitled to vote,
- A statement attesting that the member understands that they are entitled to vote only once and that the enclosed ballot is their only vote,
- A return outer envelope with postage paid and addressed to the University Neighbourhoods Association.
HOW TO VOTE
- Vote for up to THREE (3) resident directors by marking an “X” in the box to the right of your choices on the ballot.
- Insert the marked ballot into the secrecy envelope and seal it.
- Place the sealed secrecy envelope into the certification envelope, seal it and fill out the required information.
- Place the certification envelope into the return outer envelope and seal it. The return outer envelope is postage paid.
Drop your return outer envelope (with the ballot, secrecy envelope and certification envelope enclosed) in a Canada Post mailbox. Note that the ballot must be received by the UNA by 4:30 p.m. on November 6, 2019 for it to be included in the vote counting. Please allow time for mailing.
BY DROP BOX
Drop your return outer envelope (with the ballot, secrecy envelope and certification envelope enclosed) by 4:30 p.m., November 6, 2019, in a drop box at the following locations:
- Wesbrook Community Centre at 3335 Webber Lane
- Old Barn Community Centre at 6308 Thunderbird Boulevard
- UNA Main Office at 202-5923 Berton Avenue
Please check the facilities page for each location’s business hours.
Submit your return outer envelope (with the ballot, secrecy envelope and certification envelope enclosed) by placing it in the drop box at the UNA AGM before the start of AGM at 7:00 p.m. on November 6, 2019.
REPRESENTATION AND RESULTS
The three directors to be elected this November will initially hold office for two years. They may be re-elected (subject to eligibility) for up to two more terms.
It is important to note that the UNA Constitution and Bylaws requires that no more than three directors may come from a single neighbourhood. This is a provision in order to facilitate balanced representation. The two elected directors, Matthew Delumpa and Terry Mullen, whose terms started in 2018-19 and continue for another year are from Wesbrook Place and Hawthorn Place, respectively. That means that of the three positions up for election, a maximum of two can be from either Wesbrook Place or Hawthorn Place.
The winners of the election will be announced at the UNA Annual General Meeting on Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 7 p.m. at the Wesbrook Community Centre, or through email the following day.
2019 ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
The 2019 Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the University Neighbourhoods Association (UNA) will be held on Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 7:00 p.m. at the Wesbrook Community Centre (3335 Webber Lane). More information about the schedule is available on the 2019 Annual General Meeting page.