The principle behind on-street parking is to provide neighbourhood residents and visitors, who can be defined as residents’ friends/family, neighbourhood service vehicles and shoppers in neighbourhood commercial cores, an opportunity to park their vehicles in UNA neighbourhoods. The UNA recognizes that many types of visitors will visit UNA neighbourhoods. The neighbourhood parking management strategy is meant to accommodate these visitors. It is meant to discourage UBC visitors who are avoiding paying for parking in the academic core.
How to Buy or Renew a Parking Permit
There are three kinds of parking permits:
- Resident Parking Decal: to allow UNA residents to park their own vehicles on the neighbourhood street
- Visitor Parking Permit: to allow UNA resident’s visitor to park their vehicles on the neighbourhood street
- Parking Day Pass: to UNA residents who require additional parking for their visitors for an occasional function
The above parking permits are only available to residents of the assigned UNA neighbourhood. For example, the Hawthorn parking permit is only available to Hawthorn residents to park vehicles in Hawthorn Place.
Resident parking decals are specific to a license plate number and visitor parking permits are specific to a UNA address.
*For the purpose of information validation, we require you to share your vehicle and ICBC insurance information with us. To uphold your privacy and protect you from fraud, you are required to apply for your permit in person, rather than send a spouse or a friend.
To apply for a resident parking decal, you will need:
BC driver’s license AND ICBC vehicle registration (with valid UNA address)
To apply for a visitor parking permit or parking day pass, you will need one of the following:
- BC driver’s license
- BC identification card
- BC services card
- Other government issued photo id
AND one of the following (indicates valid UNA address):
- ICBC vehicle registration
- Current utility/service bill (e.g. phone, cable or hydro bill, or a credit card statement)
- Current rental agreement (Village Gate Homes Rental Agreement only)
Resident Parking Decal
To park your vehicle on your neighbourhood streets, you may purchase a 2017 (Apr 1, 2017 – Mar 31, 2018) resident parking decal for $120 + applicable taxes. The cost of resident parking decals increases with the number of vehicles registered per legal suite. If your household requires two vehicles to be parked on the street, the second resident parking decal will cost $240 + applicable taxes. The third and subsequent resident parking decals will cost $480 + applicable taxes.
Visitor Parking Permit
Each legal UNA address is entitled to one (1) Visitor Parking Permit that allows your visitors to park on your neighbourhood streets. Permits are not valid for on-street parking of residents’ vehicles. You can purchase a 2017 (Apr 1, 2017 – Mar 31, 2018) Visitor Parking Permit for $120 + applicable taxes.
2017 Parking Fee Schedule
On February 14, 2017 the UNA Board approved the new parking fee schedule for Hawthorn Place and Wesbrook Place, effective April 1, 2017.
For every vehicle registered per legal UNA suite, the cost is as follows:
- 1st Resident Parking Decal $120 + 5% GST = $126
- 2nd Resident Parking Decal $240 + 5% GST = $252
- 3rd and subsequent Resident Parking Decals $480 + 5% GST= $504
- Parking Decal Replacement due to license plate change or vehicle change (1st time) $25
- Parking Decal Replacement due to license plate change or vehicle change (2nd) $50
- Parking Decal Replacement due to license plate change or vehicle change (3rd+ times) $100
- For every legal UNA suite one visitor parking permit is permitted $120+ 21% Parking Sales Tax + 5% GST = $152.47
*Note: the resident parking decals and visitor parking permits are only valid for on-street Authorized Vehicle Parking Zones (in accordance with the posted signage) in the neighbourhood indicated on the permit/decal. For example, you cannot use a Hawthorn Place parking permit to park in Wesbrook Place.
*Note: In accordance with Translink Parking Sales Tax requirements, the mandatory 21% Translink Parking Sales Tax for the visitor parking permit will be incurred by the purchaser.
The Resident Parking Decal and Visitor Parking Permits are available for purchase at the UNA office (#202 – 5923 Berton Ave.) during regular hours of operation (Mon to Fri from 8:30 am – 4:30 pm). Accepted methods of payment are Visa, MasterCard, Debit and Cash.
What to Do If…
Your registration and insurance must show your residential address on the second page.
- You must be listed as the principal operator on the insurance
- The location address on the second page of the insurance and registration must list your residential address within a UNA neighbourhood
- Two items of supporting ID (Items 2 and 3)
- Valid ICBC car insurance registered to a BC company name and address with no principal operator listed (if a principal operator is listed, see above section, “You drive someone else’s car”
- A letter or contract on company letterhead, stating that the vehicle is used by you, and is needed at your home on a regular basis. A new letter is required every year to renew your permit
- Two items of supporting ID
- Business identification (e.g. pay stub, T4, or business card) as proof of employment
To be eligible for a parking permit, your vehicle insurance must be changed to ICBC insurance (non-resident motor vehicle and insurance certificate) at the UNA neighbourhood address, or you must apply for Exemption status through ICBC.
Exemption status allows you to forego changing your vehicle insurance to BC insurance.
For information, call ICBC at 604-443-4624 or 1-800-665-4336.
SPARC permit holders can park in the on-street accessible stalls if they display a valid Visitor Parking Pass or a day permit. SPARC permit holders cannot use their Resident Parking decals to park in accessible stalls.
This is to ensure that visitors to residents in the Hawthorn and Wesbrook neighbourhoods, have a reasonable ability to park in accessible stalls.
What if I need to replace a purchased permit?
Replacement resident parking decal and visitor parking permit must be picked up in person if:
- You changed vehicles or license plate
- Your car was damaged in an accident and written off
- Your windshield was replaced
- Your visitor parking permit is lost or damaged
- Your resident parking decal is damaged or peeling off
Resident Parking Decal is specific to your license plate number
Resident parking decal is non-transferable and specific to your license plate. When a license plate change occurs, you should return to the UNA office (202-5923 Berton Ave.) with the updated car insurance and proof of residency. We will then issue you a replacement resident parking decal. Some charges may apply.
Visitor Parking Permit is limited to one per legal UNA address
Visitor parking permit is non-transferable and specific to your home address. When your address changes (whether move within or away from the UNA neighbourhoods), you should immediately notify the UNA office (604-827-5158 or email@example.com). If you move between two different neighbourhoods (e.g. from Hawthorn Place to Wesbrook Place), your current visitor parking permit will no longer be valid. You should return it to the UNA office (202-5923 Berton Ave.) with an updated proof of residency so that we can issue you a new visitor parking permit.
What document to bring
|Reason replacement needed||Items needed to get a new resident parking decal|
|You changed vehicles or license plate||
|Your car was damaged in an accident and written off||
|Your windshield was replaced
|Your visitor parking permit is lost or damaged||
|Your resident parking decal is damaged or peeling off||
Disputing Parking Violation/Towing
If you want to dispute your towing ticket, you need to complete the following:
- Fill out the Parking Violation Dispute Application HERE
- Please also include the Receipt and Notice to Tow
You can submit these documents to the UNA Administrative Office or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.