Building permits are required for new construction or alterations to existing structures, exterior additions, interior finishing, major renovations, and other types of work.

Permits are not normally required for such things as the replacement of fixtures or appliances, painting, replacing floor coverings, or the replacement of cabinets and counters in kitchens or bathrooms.

To find out more contact Campus + Community Planning Permits.

Strata Corporations that are considering changes to their landscaping or the removal of any trees or large shrubs should consult with Campus + Community Planning before any work is undertaken.

All Home-Based Business operators must obtain a business license before opening. If you are already operating a Home-Based Business, you must obtain a business license to continue operating.

A Home-Based Business refers to a craft or occupation conducted in a principal residence as an accessory use subordinate to the principle residential use of a dwelling unit. These businesses must only be conducted within the principle building on the site.

Home based businesses allow a portion of a residence to be used for a craft and/or occupation for administration purposes only (mailing and telephone). Generally the permission of your strata corporation is required.

Business licenses are required for any person to operate a business on the UBC Vancouver campus. Business licenses are required for commercial office uses, retail or service type commercial activities. A Commercial Enterprise means any commercially oriented business or organization. Depending on the nature of your business, the following approvals may be required to obtain a business license – UBC Campus and Community Planning (for land use, Signage and Building Permits), Vancouver Coastal Health Department and the City of Vancouver Fire Department.

The business license application form and fee schedule are available from the Office of UBC Permits and Inspections, Campus and Community Planning or online at Completed applications along with the appropriate fee will be reviewed by the Permits and Inspections Branch staff.

For more information on Home Based Businesses and Commercial Business Licenses please contact the Permits and Inspections Department.

The University Neighbourhoods Association (UNA) does not have a dog licensing system. However, in special cases, the City of Vancouver will issue licenses for dog owners living outside the city.

How to Apply for a City of Vancouver Dog License:

  1. UNA residents must call the City of Vancouver’s service line at 311 or 604-873-7000 to request a special dog license for people living outside of the city.
  2. The customer service team will create a special case number.
  3. The City of Vancouver customer service team will forward the case number to city’s animal control office.
  4. The animal control office will follow up with the UNA resident and the resident will need to pay for the dog licensing fee.

Similar to UBC, the UNA does not have an animal bylaw, nor an animal licensing system. If an incident arises and leads to damages, we recommend UNA residents involved to contact a civil law legal professional.

A special occasion liquor license is required if you are planning to host an event where liquor will be served or sold. Different sorts of licenses are required for public events, such as fundraisers open to the public, then for private events, such as weddings or birthday parties.
To find out more, contact BC Liquor Stores.