Family Day is a wonderful opportunity to reconnect with those closest to you. Try something new and explore what your neighbourhood has to offer with these fun ideas.
- Drop in to play sports at the Wesbrook Community Centre (February 20, 2023, various times)
Get active with your family in the Wesbrook gymnasium by dropping in to play Badminton, Pickleball, or Basketball. Children must be supervised by an adult (19+). Drop-in is on a first-come, first-served basis. Maximum capacity of 30 players per activity. Limited number of Badminton racquets and Pickleball paddles available to borrow, please bring your own. This activity is uninstructed and free of charge.
- Badminton: 10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Pickleball: 12:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- Basketball: 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Get creative at Drop-in Arts and Crafts at Wesbrook Community Centre (February 20, 2023, 12:00 p.m – 2:00 p.m.)
Get creative with open-ended arts and crafts supplies at Wesbrook Community Centre! This activity is uninstructed and free of charge. No registration required. Children must be supervised by an adult (19+).
- Burn off some energy on Collings Field and the UNA Community Field (February 20, 2023, 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.)
Enjoy our fields’ wide-open space to play catch, kick balls and run around with your family! Pop into the Wesbrook Community Centre or Old Barn Community Centre to borrow a ball. No registration required. Children under age 12 must be supervised by an adult guardian (aged 19+).
- Participate in a Family EcoWalk in Pacific Spirit Regional Park (February 20, 2023, 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.)
Gather with your family at Wesbrook Community Centre to embark on a journey of discovery in our local forest. Look for signs of animals, signs of spring, and have a scavenger hunt for a variety of nature items. This event is hosted by Pacific Spirit Park Society. Registration is required.
- Exercise your mind and body at the Old Barn Community Centre (February 20, 2023, 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.)
Play a game of table tennis and then stretch your muscles at the Old Barn! Drop-in table tennis is on a first-come, first-serve basis (one hour limit per family).There will also be a space available for families to practice yoga or stretch together. Mats are available to borrow for this uninstructed activity. Get cozy in the Living Room with board games and books available to borrow. Prefer to stay outdoors? Draw with sidewalk chalk and borrow from a selection of toys and games in front of the Old Barn Community Centre, and don’t forget to grab a treat from Bean Around the World before walking through the Children’s Garden to look for signs of Spring!
- Play an old-school playground game
Head to one of the many parks and playgrounds in the UNA and ask a family member to share their favourite game from their childhood. Try a game of grounders, hopscotch or Marco Polo!
- Participate in Kids Take Over UBC
Kids Take Over UBC is an open-door arts and culture festival for UBC families and the wider audience in Metro Vancouver to enjoy UBC’s world-class assets and public spaces together, while interacting with artists, musicians, dancers and more. Held annually on Family Day weekend, the event was inspired by Takeover Day, first launched in the UK to celebrate children and young people’s contributions to museums, galleries, arts organizations, archives and heritage sites. Check out the Kids Take Over UBC website for details!
- Bring LEGO to life at a robotics workshop at Wesbrook Community Centre (February 20, 2023, 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.)
Learn about coding, program a robot to complete a task, and watch a robot demo match. Instructed by FIRST Tech Challenge. First come, first served – no registration required. Children must be supervised by an adult.