- This event has passed.
Apple Festival at UBC Botanical Garden
October 19, 2019 @ 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
October 19 & 20, 2019, 11 am – 4 pm
A family event for all ages, UBC Apple Festival celebrates one of BC’s favourite fruits. From learning about the diversity of apples to tasting rare and unusual varieties, Apple Festival is a great opportunity to discover more about this delicious fruit.
This year, we are expecting to receive and sell conventional apple varieties, heritage, and “tried and true.” We will also have approximately 1600 pounds of pears (up to 9 varieties), and 25 pounds of Quince.
We recommend you arrive early. Some varieties of apples sell out quickly. A list of apples and trees available for sale will be posted in October.
Activities and Displays
Friends of the Garden Apple Tasting Tent
One of the most popular activities at the Apple Festival is the Friends of the Garden Apple Tasting Tent. For an additional $5 (cash only), curious event goers can taste a up to 40 new and heritage BC-grown apples.
Kids can engage in a number of activities in the Children’s Area, ranging from face painting, games and storytelling. They can learn about biodiversity, the environment, bees and other pollinators and more from our outreach partners. And don’t miss everybody’s favourite—the Leaf Pile!
Best Apple Display in Canada
Also at the event is The Vancouver Island-based BC Fruit Testers Association, who hosts a physical display of the nearly 200 apple varieties that are still grown in British Columbia.
- Demonstrations of grafting and cider-pressing
- Apple ID – try to stump the experts with apple varieties from your garden (hint: bring along six apples from your unidentified tree)
- Master Gardeners will be available to discuss apple and fruit tree-related diseases and pest management for those seeking problem-solving advice
- Learn all about bees and pollination
Attractions at the Garden
Be sure to spend some time exploring our beautiful Botanical Garden:
- Take a “walk in the trees” on the Greenheart TreeWalk – special event pricing in effect!
- The Shop in the Garden features an exciting array of apple-related merchandise as well as tools, books and gifts
- Our Garden Centre has a wide variety of fruit and ornamental trees and hundreds of plants for your garden
Admission is $5 (cash only) for adults; children 12 and under free.* Apple Festival admission includes Garden admission.
*Membership cards or passes for UBC Botanical Garden Members, UNA members, affiliated organizations and Groupons are not accepted in lieu of the $5 admission fee.
This fundraising is organized by the Friends of the Garden. All proceeds support UBC Botanical Garden.